Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience with me... love you guys.

Monday, June 28, 2010

FOOD

Today was all about food. We stayed in to do the wash, but Claudia prepared a delicious lunch and then Pier & Claudia a spectacular dinner. It turns out that out of all the families in Italy I am staying with the most healthy eaters in the country. LOL So the meals were just perfect for me, I did not feel like I had just had a thanksgiving feast after every meal. Soooo.... our lunch today was riso al bianco (a simple risotto). What keeps amazing me is the fact that the recipes are SO simple, but all include such fresh, high quality ingredients. So the riso was simply cooked risotto with added olive oil and cheese. That's it! BUT that olive oil... oh my goodness, it was so light, not like the ones I've tasted from our wonderful HEB (even the $17 ones). And the cheese was a wonderful parmegiano regiano. =) For dinner: a delicious aperitivo (appetizer), radicchio salad, and carpaccio. The aperitivo was the wonderful prosciutto (raw ham), which has become my favorite food, parmegiano regiano, pecorino cheese, olives, etc. The salad only contained the radicchio, olive oil & balsamic vinegar. And finally the carpaccio - this dish is composed of VERY thinly sliced veal, which is then marinated in lemon for a couple of hours (which cooks the veal a bit, like ceviche) and then cheese & olive oil are added to it. That's it. Yes the veal looks a tad uncooked but it tastes great. Baby, I hope you're ready to try all this.. =] Everything was HEAVENLY! And oh yes, the vino was fabulous as well. =) Oh I also included the picture of the aperitivo we had yesterday... it included gnocchi... So Good! It's pasta cooked with potatoes... oh so good.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I hope we get the invite when you make these meals! Sounds yummy! Even though I can totally see us having to order pizza for the boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure! ... or we can make it a girl's night ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I wish I were in Brownsville so I could taste all this food when you do make it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... we can plan it on a weekend when you're in your hometown ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so know the dishes you speak of!!! Your making me hungry. Chef Dave would be impressed! =)

    ReplyDelete